Shirin Shaikh is an interdisciplinary artist currently living in Switzerland (originally from Mumbai, India). As one of India’s first female graffiti artists, she has pioneered street art and graffiti all over India (for NGOs, residencies, and commercial clients).
Initially a Computer Engineer, she returned to her artistic roots and has been an active member of the growing Indian art fraternity.
Practically, Shirin mainly works with graphite, hand embroidery, acrylics and digital illustrations too. She has also conducted workshops, organized art festivals, and worked on sculptures and home décor projects. Her time these days is spent balancing between studio work and wall murals .
- Research Residency By Pro Helvetia At Switzerland (2021).
- Participated in the 13th edition of CRACK international camp at Kushtia , Bangladesh where I did an installation art (2019).
- Environmental Artist Residency — collaboration between Sitamata Wildlife Sanctuary and Chittorgarh Art Society (2018).
- Sowing Seeds International Village Art Residency – 7th edition, Jaisalmer (2018).
Festivals and Exhibitions:
- ARTTALENTS Exhibition (2022), Tanzwerk101, Zurich, Switzerland
- FOIFVIER (2021), Baden, Switzerland
- Illustration series exhibited at KYTA residency in Leh, India (2019)
- Organizer and chief artist for the Ladies First Street Art Festival. In charge of designing the festival outline and artist lineup (2019). Also painted a 80ft wall mural at the Marol Art Village (cited as the Top 10 places to visit in India by National Geographic Traveller.
- Shillong Street Art Festival (2018)
- Featured guest artist for Mood Indigo Festival IITB (2016 and 2017).
- Matheran Green Festival – 2nd edition (2016)
- Participated in the Beauty of recycling exhibition, Pune and Glimps exhibition, Pune.
- First group exhibition; ARAMBHA (2013), Pune.
- Healing Himalayas Foundation;(working in Himalayan mountains). Wall painting and graffiti with social messages at different locations. Conducting waste upcycling workshops for students of JNL College Haripur ,Manali, Kullu (2017 to present).
- ResQ Charitable Trust, Pune- I painted their compound walls with resident animal portraits, designed and conducted community sessions for fundraising “A day at ResQ” (2017) .
- Arvani Art Project (Bangalore based NGO); Support, volunteer and spreading awareness about Transgender, LGBTQ Community at Dharvai, Mumbai in (twice- 2016 and 2017)
- Contributed Illustration for the photobook Happy Switzerland (2021)
- Four year Birthday Jam for WallStreet, Geneva (2021)
- Stuki Jam by Urbankunst, Basel (2021)
- Project manager for “Distant Neighbors” – India Edition (Brazil and China covered in previous editions) by German photo artist Micha Ende. For more info. visit : www.micha_ende.com.(2017-2019)
- Gostops Hostels – Agra for “make a mark” collaborative initiative for celebrating womanhood(2017)
- SWACH , Pune- “Red Dot Campaign”- Training of SWACH workers with multi layer stencils to paint carts to spread awareness for waste picker’s health and sanitary waste management (2017).
- Pro-bono arts at several places in India (Karad, Karli-devrukh, Mumbai, Leh, Manali, Pune, Uran)
- Started a recycled home-decor product line.
- Co-founder of skate-a-way skateboarding magazine (2016-2017)